Wednesday 30 December 2009

User feedback in the Findbugs model

Findbugs already provides ways for a user to annotate a bug report that may be useful. The possible categories are:
  • not a bug
  • mostly harmless
  • should fix
  • must fix
  • I will fix
  • bad analysis
  • unclassified
  • obsolete/unused; will not fix
This is stored within the XML generated for a saved project.

If Findbugs does not support ignoring already view bug alerts, the absence of this could be used as a flag that this should be shown to the user. I think managing the model across different sessions is probably out of scope for my project. I think there are Findbugs commands available to merge analyses anyway.

These designations could be ordered to create the priority I wish to model. Although in the latest version there is also the concept of 'Rank' for a bug alert. It's quite annoying there are these different ways to judge a bug. Hopefully they'll be merged somehow.

Just wanted to leave a note for myself that this is probably how the XML of an analysis will be handled for the learning mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment